Monday 27 December 2010

Factual guide to my stem cell transplant thingy (Day 1&2)

Factual guide to my stem cell transplant thingy:
Had  melphalan pumped in on Christmas Eve, following it all the way with half a dozen Ribena ice lollies, as directed by the "Angel Of The North " ;-) . Absolutely no reactions to it at all, so all the trepidation a waste of time...lol.
Next came the Anti -Fungal drip, bright yellow in colour, quite pretty really for a ******* of a drug! I say this because 15 mins.in to a 1 hour drip, I started to get constriction of my rib cage, akin to the vice-like pain of the G-csf course for the collection of stem cells. I had earlier destroyed the clip on the nurse button and couldn't find it down the back of the bed, so I walked out to the nurses in the corridor to get help. They nicely said to get back into my bed and they would come a sort me.By this time the pain had spread to my whole body, every joint and bone and I crawled back to my bed.  The nurses responded immediately by disconnecting the wicked yellow gunge and pumping me full of prednisolone and something else which I cannot remember the name of, but which put me straight on to cloud nine. Slept well as you can imagin, apart from the visits 100 yards down the corridor to the loo to compliment the water tablets which complimented the bags of saline etc, but it was only 5 journey's.Was warned that 24 hrs. after the nasty stuff I would be feeling sick and unwell...... still waiting...... and it's 60+ hrs so far :-D.
Boxing day was good. Lorna by my side and visits from my son and daughter and my grand-daughter, also woke up to a present from Father Christmas at my bedside (although there is a rumour hat it was the ward staff who left it).
Taking my meds like a good one and keeping my head down at mo. Being looked after very very well bythe staff and doctors here. Very happy about how I feel at present, but well aware that I am in for worse when my counts fall. I'll keep posting.

1 comment:

  1. I wonder if Ribena have ever considered sponsoring sct patients? You even have the hair to match! Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.