Wednesday 3 March 2010

Tough either way.

Dear friends and followers.
Some of you are in the unenviable position of being a myeloma sufferer, others are caring for someone and some are nervous onlookers who care about Mike and I and want everything to be ok. I can only say how tough it is to be a carer, I try to imagine how it must feel to be the sufferer, but there is no way that I can ever understand. I'm trying not to moan too much, but days like today make it really difficult to cope.
Poor Mike has had blood in his urine for a couple of days now. He called the CHU emergency number last night and the nurse on the end of the line asked him loads of questions and eventually came to the conclusion that it was nothing. That seemed fine as during the night and first thing this morning his urine was clear (well it was clear any way, just strawberry coloured!) So off to work he went. First trip to the loo, back to strawberryade (not fizzy or even frothy, but you get the idea.) A call to the CHU no reply, a call to our CNS no answer. So he left it a while. When he got hold of someone to talk to they decided it might be a good idea if he popped along at 1:30 to see someone, only problem was that by the time he had that chat his boss had gone out and he couldn't leave the office. Whoops! It gets better. At 1:30 p.m. they called him back with an ultimatum, get there by 2:30 p.m. or they might cancel his treatment. At that point total panic (well Mike doesn't exactly panic, but you get my drift.) By a really good stroke of luck his boss walked in soon after, and Mike was able to make the trip to the hospital, arriving just before their 2:30 p.m. deadline!
All this is obviously very frightening/worrying for Mike and for me, sat at home with only the odd text or phone call, a nightmare situation (I couldn't even go to the hospital because of the aforementioned norovirus!)
So here I sit with baited breath. I need a stiff drink to calm my nerves!

Lorna

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.