Wednesday 9 February 2011

Too early?

I've spent the last couple of days contemplating Mike's visit to see Dr SB on Monday. Six weeks after his SCT and Mike was told he had achieved a partial response. When I raised an eyebrow of disappointment I was told only 30% achieve a complete response. In blogland it somehow feels like more, but I'm guessing that is because everyone is so positive. Dr SB is hoping that Mike will be approved for maintenance therapy, Mike has more questions to ask before deciding what to do. He has another appointment in six weeks.

The thing that puzzles me is that Mike hasn't had a bone marrow test and the paraprotein level was from blood taken on 28 Jan, which was just under five weeks after his SCT, is it maybe too early to tell what Mike's response has been? Or am I clinging by my fingernails to the cliff face at Dover?

Oh and I hope a friend in hospital gets well soon, I miss her. She'd know what to say to me. You aren't allowed flowers in hospital so these virtual ones are for you.

2 comments:

  1. I don't know much about SCTs, but that does sound early. And how "partial" is "partial"? Get numbers out of them!
    And don't worry - your secret is safe with me ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wouldn't give up hope yet. I prefer the blood marker test for myeloma over the bone marrow byopsy. The BMB only checks the myeloma at the spot where they take the byopsy. Myeloma at all locations affect he blood marker tests unless you are a non-secretor.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.