Monday 8 March 2010

Goodbye Mr. 'T'


No I don't mean that Mr. T but Mr. Thalidomide. Dr SB has decided that under no circumstances will he be prescribing aspirin for Mike and no aspirin means no T. So next Monday Mike has an appointment for his first dose of Mr. Velcade to be taken along with Mr. Dex (he doesn't mind me shortening his name!) I'm sure the drill will be familiar to some of you, I'm not too sure how two days of Dex followed by one day off will work out, but at least there is the ten days off to look forward to. Our biggest issue is of course that Mike only gets one day off in seven, so treatment will have to be done on two half days, resulting in no real quality time until the ten days off.

I shouldn't laugh really, but Mike has been on so many tablets in just a few weeks that his record sheet is starting to look like a pharmacy stock take! In the meantime he is still taking his Mesna (affectionately known as Mensa, he has a very intelligent bladder now), ultra-sound on Thursday (I hope it isn't twins) and a nervous wait to see the urologist who will be doing a cystoscopy (I think I'll pass on the holiday snaps from that camera.)
I think I'm going to relax and enjoy the peace and quiet for now. I get the feeling things may soon be getting hectic again!

6 comments:

  1. What was the problem with the asprin? Did they say? My consultant wouldn't part with his breath if he didn't have too. I had Clexane injections with Mr T.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We're not sure, but we think he blamed the aspirin for causing the bleeding in the bladder. We assume that he decided it was best not to prescribe any blood-thinners, to be honest I didn't think to ask why, we were just glad to hear something was going to be done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My husband is allergic to aspirin. He took Warfarin when he was on Thalidomide to keep his blood thin. I hope you have been given plenty of information on Velcade. It is not to be taken lightly! Be aware that Mike is likely to be exhausted during this regime... he will be doing very well indeed if he manages to keep working through it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi! I just stumbled across your blog and thought I might could give you a little encouragement. My daddy was diagnosed with MM in November and just finished his fourth round of Velcade and Dex. He has done really, really well. He has a little neuropathy from time to time but nothing major. He goes on the 28th for his transplant. I pray your partner will fair as well as he did. Just thought that might make you feel a little better :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you Claire. The more the merrier when it comes to support.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.